Comprehensive Cardiac Care
Heart Attack: Know Your Symptoms.
The following are the most common symptoms of a heart attack.
- Severe pressure, fullness, squeezing, pain and/or discomfort in the center of the chest that lists for more than a few minutes
- Pain or discomfort that spreads to the shoulders, neck, arms, or jaw
- Chest pain that increases in intensity
- Chest pain that is not relieved by rest or by taking nitroglycerin
- Chest pain that occurs with any/all of the following (additional) symptoms:
- Sweating, cool, clammy skin, and/or paleness
- Shortness of breath
- Nausea or vomiting
- Dizziness or fainting
- Unexplained weakness or fatigue
- Rapid or irregular pulse
The scope and quality of our cardiac care is without equal in our region. From the quick and immediate reaction of our emergency room to cardiac catheterization, electrophysiology and cardiac surgical care, our team of cardiac surgeons and specialists offer individualized treatment for each of our patients.
Our nationally ranked care extends through post-surgical critical care, where specialized nursing units help patients and families recover. And our Cardiac Rehabilitation Team helps return patients to their former lifestyle, providing individual attention, group exercise and helpful information on diet, continued physical activity and healthy living.
Cardiac Care...Discover the Advantages
Isn't it comforting to know that Regional Hospital of Scranton offers some of the best cardiac care in the nation? From diagnostic and surgical intervention techniques to our cardiac rehabilitation and more, we're providing advanced heart care and specialization that's making a real difference for our patients.
If you or someone you know exhibits any signs of a heart attack, act immediately. Call 911, or your local emergency number.
Rated Top 100 in the Nation for Cardiac Care
Four Years in a Row!
Not all local healthcare providers are equal when it comes to cardiac care.
Every year, Thomson Reuters, a leading healthcare industry review organization, examines the performance of nearly 1,000 U.S. hospitals by analyzing their outcomes for congestive heart failure, heart attacks, bypass surgery, angioplasties and other coronary interventions.
Thomson Reuters has named us a Top 100 hospital in the nation for heart care, four years in a row. No other hospital in our region has earned such a distinction and only a select few have accomplished such a feat in the whole nation. Being a Thomson Reuters 100 Top Hospitals® winner means that our patients are less likely to have complications and are more likely to receive life-saving care with advanced technology.
A History of Regional "Firsts" in Cardiac Care
For more than 40 years, we have been leading the way towards innovative, cardiac care. Major achievements include:
- 1965 – Region's first coronary care unit
- 1967 – Region's first pacemaker
- 1970 – Region's first cardiac catheterization
- 1971 – Region's first open heart surgery
- 1972 – Region's first tertiary cardiovascular care center
Over the years, our cardiovascular team of cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, nurses, technologists and support staff has performed more than:
- 200,000 cardiac procedures
- 45,000 cardiac catheterizations